A high level of English language is crucial for being able to do any kind of serious research at the US universities. Also, without a good knowledge of the language, it will be difficult for you to communicate with locals. This is why a test of English language is required, and for most, this will be TOEFL.
During the English test of TOEFL
- Make extensive notes during the SPEAKING and LISTENING sections. A lot of the answers are already given in the conversations.
- As there are other people (<5) in the same room taking the test, and everybody is speaking (you have to record your answers in SPEAKING section with a microphone), it can get a bit confusing. Bring earplugs and maximize the volume of your headphones.
- READING: don’t read the whole text in advance! The questions are organized to follow the paragraphs. You can answer them together with reading the text – so begin to answer the question as you read, because there is a time limit.
- There is one 10 min break between two of the sections. Bring something to eat and drink as food/water are not allowed in the computer room.
Before the English test of TOEFL
- When I was taking part in 2008, the price was $155, you have to register at ETS
- You cannot drastically improve your knowledge of English language in a short time. Just to dip your fingers into the TOEFL exam, try: Kaplan TOEFL iBT with CD-ROMTOEFL & TOEIC Books) (it’s almost the same interface as the real exam).
Hello! I’m Timur and I’m from Uzbekistan.i would like to inquire a question. Are fullbright and toefl different exams,i mean ,must a valunteer take two different exams to make MsD IN THE USA? Thanx beforhand
Dear Timur, Fulbright is not an exam, it is a scholarship you apply for. TOEFL, on the other hand, is a test of your English language skills.
Hello! I am preparing the IBT TOEFL but I would like to know how much grade I need to get a Fulbright grant. Thank you.
As far as I can remember, it was around 90 (Internet-based test). Check with your local Embassy.
Can someone send the application and take the toefl at a later date?
Also tell about GRE
Yes, AFAIK, you can take the TOEFL at a later date. As for the GRE, I don’t know. My application didn’t require it.
I am planning to apply for fullbright doctrol fellowships.incase iam selected, can i take my kid along with me?
As far as I know, yes.
i don’t think so. i think i read somewhere that the grant isn’t enough to support dependants.
sir i am from India i want to know which exam i taken to get Fulbright scolership
Dear PHd friend
Thank you so much for the information. I am a South African on the 3rd stage of the Fulbright process. I will be writing the tests both TOEFL and GRE pretty soon. M so nervous sometimes jst feel the whole process z pretty hectic. Please advise on how to stay calm at this point?
Become a member of Quora.com 🙂